Hi Colin,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I gave ownership of the .cache directory to Root and this has resolved the issue so far.

I had some earlier success with removing all Firefox extensions, but this only worked for awhile.

In the end I completely removed firefox from the system and deleted all related files and profiles
and then reinstalled it.

Then I did a chown of the cache directory giving ownership to Root so Firefox cannot write any files to .cache.

It has not had any discernable effect on Firefox performance and so far so good; no more evidence of the txt.downloader malware.

I have been checking the scans regularly to see if the malware tries to write to any other directories but its all good to date.

Does anybody have any idea of what this Malware does and how it is acquired?

Thanks

Wally