Brian Jones wrote:

> Paul Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Please change your commenting style to conform to GNU standards.  The
> > double stars on each line are terribly ugly.
>
> single '*' for everything but the first part of the comment if it is
> to be included in javadoc (as in variable or class declaration).
>
> /**
>  * comment
>  */
>
> and
> /**
>    hello world
>  */
>
> doesn't look right to me in Java.  I prefer Sun's method.

Put me down as another vote for Sun's method here, as all the other
methods I've seen just look downright ugly.

I changed the Copyright notices in the classes that I wrote to use //
style comments, because I couldn't stand the "opening comment without
closing" either. I don't know about GNU commenting standards, but the
java.util ones I did look nice ;)

As an aside, some people have talked about standardizing on GNU
indentation style for all our java code. I don't like the thought of
this at all. As someone who uses java as his primary language, I like
Sun's style a lot, and carry it with me to other languages when I have
to use them. I find the GNU style very difficult to follow, and
unattractive. I know other people feel the same way about Sun's style,
just pointing out that there is another side to the story.

Since a lot of Classpath can be written in pure Java, we are likely to
attract quite a lot of people who, like me, have java as their primary
language. We shouldn't force them to change the style they are used to
in order to contribute, imho.

Perhaps we can find a tool which will autoconvert between the two
styles. Then people like me can do a "checkout; convert-to-sun's-style;
edit; convert-to-gnu-style; commit" and the conventions are preserved
without forcing anyone to edit in a style they hate. Unless something
like this can be done, though, I vote strongly against "requiring" any
one indentation style.

Thanks for listening to my rant ;)

Stuart.