I'm not sure if this is quite what your looking for, but I've found a
nice awt-type toolikit called dogui (http://www.dog.net.uk/knife/) whihc
provides a replacement & some extra widgets to the awt and has a nice
swing-metal L&F.  I think it is only dependent on the basic bits of the
awt (like frame, graphics classes etc) so it is "light-weight".

BTW, I'm not sure that providing a plug-in replacement is a particularly
good idea (though I wouldn't complain if someone did it) since it would
take huge resources and swing isn't particaulrly brillant anyway (nice
yes - great no). Having a "light" replacement such as the dogui tk would
probably be just as good an alternative, with people developing other
widgets as needed - thouhg a decent architecture would be needed, swing
has very flexible architecture and perhaps suffers a bit for it.

Maksim.

--
Remember Darwin; building a better mousetrap merely results in smarter
mice.