>> "It is not the four extra characters that presents the problem to me, but
it is the bizarre naming convention.  In my mind I do not associate
libraries with the _domain names_ that created them, why *would* I?  And
then there's this weirdness with reversing the domain name (gnu.org ->
org.gnu).  I do understand the rationale behind that, but it still goes
against the normal ordering."

Again, your argument is a bit off track.  Domain names are used because they
were there, and they worked.  We aren't arguing that here.  It's already
been accepted by the community at large.

And it's not at all about "your mind" or what "you understand", it's about
the fact that a system is in place already and that ignoring it and "doing
what you want, or like, or can understand" is not good for the next person.

>> "I am by no means suggesting that all packages everywhere do this.."

You see, there is that arrogance **again**.  Why is any one organization so
damn special that they should be excepted?

>> "you later have to waste the mental energy throwing out the
irrelevancies.."

Why do you refer to the 'com.' or 'org.' qualifiers as "irrelevant"?  They
serve a very specific and important purpose: so that 'dataware.com' and
'dataware'org' and 'dataware.net' can all distribute code without namespace
clashes.  Is this simple concept really beyond your "understanding"?  If you
are comparing them to a superfluous 'the' in a variable name then perhaps
you don't understand the fundamental issues here.

And as far as that "wasting mental energy" goes, is it that scarce that you
have to shorten your import statements to meet the demand?