If we do explicit import statements for every class our class depends on
we could easily generate a makefile in the way that the "mkmf" utility
does for C(++).  I think explicit imports help readability anyway, as
long as classes are well-named and non-conflicting (general imports such
as java.io.* could still work, just be a little more expensive in terms
of the classes to check).  The utility would look for "import x.y.z",
check if the file x/y/z.java exists, and if so insert a make dependency
line for x/y/z.class accordingly.   Everything that needed it would have
to import gnu.java.Config (replace with wherever Config.java lives).

Do we want these utils to be java apps or does it matter?

Wes

--
/* USWeb Corporation, http://www.usweb.com/    */
/* A Strategic Partner for the Information Age */