Patrick Doyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> That sounds reasonable.  It makes sense to me that something as
> fundamental as String shouldn't depend on other classes for its
> initialization, because you get a can of worms if one of those other
> classes needs a String for its own initialization.
>
> So, should String be reorganized to encourage this?

Perhaps.  There is certainly no reason why we couldn't support more
than one implementation of a particular class selected by the user
using configure.  There is a difference between how Classpath and gcj
handle this area (Strings, Characters, conversion, etc.) that would be
nice to resolve as well.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>