Sascha Brawer wrote:

>Sun's current JavaDoc (J2SE 1.4) does not mention whether
>java.util.Properties is supposed to be usable from multiple threads
>without additional synchronization.  However, one might be able to infer
>it from the fact that it is a subclass of java.util.Hashtable.

My approach is to assume that _nothing_ is synchronized unless the
(current) specs explicitly say so, or it is obvious that it is not
reasonable to implement something any other way. My reasoning is:

1. It is slow. In fact the overuse of synchronization is responsible for
a great many of Java's performance problems.
2. A programmer has no reason to assume that something is synchronized
if the specification does not say it is.
3. It could potentially cause deadlock issues if a progammer assumes
something does not synchronize internally, but it does.

regards

Bryce.