> > Why are the classpath shared libraries installed into $prefix/lib/classpath ?
> >
> > How do I configure the build to install them in $prefix/lib ?
>
> This is due to the use of pkglib_LTLIBRARIES in Makefile.am.  We could
> have used lib_LTLIBRARIES instead and you would get them in
> $prefix/lib.  In this case we'd probably have to rename the libraries
> to avoid name collisions.

What collisions do you anticipate?

What names would you suggest?

cp-javaio
cp-javalang ..

?

> This also means that if you wanted to
> package Classpath with a JVM that updating just classpath requires
> more intimate knowledge of the libraries we create rather than just
> looking in the lib/classpath directory.

Do you mean putting the JVM and Classpath in one package?

The reason I bring all this up is because it seems the preferred way to do things (at
least on Debian) is to install shared libraries in the standard search path.

John Leuner