hello Mark,

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 22:23, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 05:51 +1100, Raif S. Naffah wrote:
> > what is the expected milestone (definition and how to measure it)
> > to reach before releasing a version 1 --or 1.4 whatever that final
> > number will be?
>
> According to our homepage it is: "GNU Classpath 1.0 will be fully
> compatible with the 1.1 and largely compliant with the 1.2 API
> specification and will have a stable API for interacting with virtual
> machines." Which I think we have now (plus lots of additional 1.3,
> 1.4 and 1.5 stuff).

i was, and still am interested, in getting a common consensus on what
would constitute a "non 0. release"!

> Personally I think 1.0 is when we feel it isn't just some
> experimental code anymore, but that people can use GNU Classpath for
> real world applications, and we feel comfortable supporting those
> users. Which also has been true (for years). Just look at any recent
> distribution...

i would like to see a more quantifiable description of when we can say
we reached that 1.0 release level.  measuring a difference against the
API of the JDK 1.4 is not enough, IMHO, as a target milestone.

i do agree with you that applications, and i would add tools, would be a
better measure of our readiness for a 1.0 release.  having a specific
list of (JDK) tools we must have, and applications that must run with
no errors or problems, will determine:

a. the API implementations we have to have --does not matter then how
close or far we are from the 100% API match.

b. the bugs we have to squash, and

c. the Mauve tests we have to monitor to ensure no regressions are
introduced.

and consequently if we have a 1.0 release, or how far we are from having
one.

cheers;
rsn