Just a quick FYI that I've made the `jessie-nio' branch, and have checked in some of the initial code for the NIO rewrite. SSL support is currently broken in this branch, because only a very small part of the rewrite is done.

My plan for developing this is:

* Convert protocol objects to read from/write to ByteBuffers instead of from streams (this is mostly done). * Write an implementation of SSLEngine. This will be the most difficult thing to do, because while there is an SSL handshake implementation already in Jessie, it currently relies heavily on a blocking-IO model. * Write a wrapper for SSLSocket that uses SSLEngine. I don't think this will be that difficult; it's pretty easy to wrap a blocking IO API around an NIO one.

So, I'm about to start phase 2. All the while I will try to develop a unit test suite for all the classes in this package (I have some for the ones already written) which can be ported to Mauve once this is all done.

If you're interested in helping out, please take a look!