Thanks a whole lot for this great information!

Dalibor Topic wrote:

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 00:12 +0100, Philippe Laporte wrote:
Hi,
    What would be the possible hurdles, off the top-of-your-head?

Didn't kaffe have a CE port?

That's KaffeCE. It does not use GNU Classpath, but instead uses the old
Kaffe class library. In theory, the code could be merged into current
Kaffe code base, but as I have no WinCE device around with an
appropriate GNU toolchain, and noone has stepped forward to do it, it's
not been done. Send me a patch, if you get it working.
How much of the kaffe code has been integrated to classpath?

None.
The only part that is in GNU Classpath and has been the same code as in
old Kaffe source base was the RMI implementation contributed by
Transvirtual to the FSF, afaik, way back before Transvirtual folded.

Otoh, Kaffe developers have been making regular contributions to GNU
Classpath, as we were kicking out old Transvirtual code, and replacing
it with way more maintainable stuff from GNU Classpath.

Which AWT should be used? Good old Biss or GTK+?

Various people have tried updating the Biss AWT code in Kaffe to
interoperate with AWT peer model from the spec as implemented in GNU
Classpath and failed. YMMV, of course.

For WinCE, I'd recommend doing what Mysaifu does, and writing your own
AWT peers for the platform. There is no GTK+ port to WinCE, that I know
of.

cheers,
dalibor topic