Keith> Right now, I've got JdwpConnection and PacketProcessor essentially
Keith> setting an "I'm ready" flag in gnu.classpath.jdwp.Jdwp. Libgcj then
Keith> spins on a method call to Jdwp.isInitialized, sleeping for some short
Keith> time if the return value is false.

Instead of sleeping, how about wait/notify?

In the VM startup:

    if (debugging enabled)
       synchronized (whatever)
         while (! thread1_started || ! thread2_started)
           whatever.wait();

Then each thread will synchronize, set their flag, and notify().

Keith> Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other about how this is
Keith> done right now? [Aka, should we worry about it when it becomes a
Keith> problem?]

It is always useful to write pure java reference code which works in
common situations, and which can be used as a guide.  VMs with unusual
constraints typically have to look out for themselves a bit.

Tom