On 3/23/06, Andrew John Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm pleasantly surprised; the score (for 1.4 at least) doesn't seem to have
> gone
> down too far (or, at least, not as far as your comments led me to expect).
> However,
> after a period of such JAPI growth, it will be interesting to see the
> dramatic decline...

I'm a little surprised that in the entire history of Japi nobody's
ever asked me how the percentages are actually calculated...

Basically, since Japi considers all members including inherited ones,
you effectively get one point for a class plus one point for each
field, constructor, or method - *including* inherited ones.

What this means is that as soon as you add *any* class, the mere
existence of that class gains you (if I'm counting right) six points:
The class, equals, hashCode, wait, notify, notifyAll. A class which is
supposed to have six methods of its own would be listed as 50%
complete just by typing "class Foo {}".

This is a little unfortunate - another side effect is that AWT and
Swing classes weigh disproportionately highly in the Japi scores
because they have ridiculously many inherited members from
(J)Component - but hard to avoid given that Japi makes no distinction
between members that are inherited or not.

So I'm not surprised that the percentage score didn't go down too
badly by just modifying the flags on methods.

I think we're getting close enough to completeness that the *count* of
errors is more interesting than the percentage anyway. And the error
count against 1.2 just went from 2 to 246 :)

Stuart.
--
http://sab39.dev.netreach.com/