(tried sending this earlier but I think I got bit by the DNS issue)

Mark Hindess of the Harmony project has written an interesting little
test tool that I thought you guys might be interested in. I haven't
time to look at it very closely myself, but the concept seems sound.

As I understand it what he does is take a japi file and generate tests
which call constructors and static methods with various combinations
of probably-invalid arguments, such as empty strings and nulls. For
each one it then records the exception thrown if any by the
implementation for comparison with other implementations.

It seems like a good way to catch corner-case differences which are
unlikely to be caught any other way - until some application gets an
exception different than the one it was expecting and falls over.

His script is available here: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-325

Thoughts? Feelings?

Stuart.
--