Tom> I considered this approach.  I'd rather it be clear that certain
Tom> features of GNU Classpath are disabled if one does not have the proper
Tom> dependencies installed.

The difficulty is, with Eclipse we have shared builders, so we have to
pick one default or the other.  But also Eclipse doesn't handle
failures gracefully :-(

Maybe we could have a 3-way switch: "yes I want it", "no I don't want
it", and "detect whether it is there".

This also affects the cairo code -- it would be nicer if configure was
auto-detecting that I have the right setup on my FC5 box but not on my
FC4 box...

>> AC_SUBST(PLUGIN_DIR, $HOME/.mozilla/plugins/)

Tom> Yes, these are a little weird.  I copied them directly from
Tom> gcjwebplugin.  I like this as the default behaviour because it means
Tom> that make && make install actually installs the plugin in a useable
Tom> way.   What about a --with-plugin-directory option that defaults to
Tom> $HOME/.mozilla/plugins?  Then packagers could override this with
Tom> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

Yes, that sounds ok to me.

Tom