On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 02:35:07PM +0200, Michael Koch wrote:
> On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 12:19:05PM +0000, theUser BL wrote:
> > Have a look at
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/184394/
> >
> > Geir Magnusson Jr writes:
<snip/>
[merge talks]
> I would recommend not doing this. GPLv3 is not out. Our current license
> is not compatible with the ASLv2. We cannot combine the code currently.
> BTW tracking what lines in the code are licensed under ASL and what are
> licensed under GPL is not that easy.

Yup.

Before looking at any kind of "merge", I strongly recommend holding out for
the GPLv3 just a little longer. It really really really looks like GPLv3 will
make it quite feasible for Classpath to take any ASLv2-licensed code and
combine/fork/modify/redistribute in lots of different ways. Not just all
the code going into harmony now, but also useful bits from projects like
xerces, xalan, and ant (eclipse too I believe, but less confident). In the
meantime, participate in the GPLv3 process and make sure everyone's aware
that there's an important "use case" for this :-)

(oh, and its doubtful any "single line" of code is copyrightable unless its
written in perl, so the IP tracking is not quite as horrendous as it may
seem, though its obviously still horrendous :-))

cheers!

LSD