Il giorno gio, 08/06/2006 alle 13.56 +0000, theUser BL ha scritto:

> I think it would be nice, to bring the Harmony- and GNU Classpath-project
> more together.

Hi!

Though sometimes I use the AL2 (see
http://limamobilelibrary.dev.java.net for an example), I still prefer to
use the old good GPL v2, without even the "at your option" clause.

At least, until GPL v3 will be finalized.

Why? While the idea behind the GPL (freedom to the users as well as to
the developers of the code) is great, I want to control what is done
with my software. I realize that the GPL v2 is the best option right now
to:

1. Make the software available to everybody
2. Without the risk of someone to stole the code and make a "commercial"
only version without me at least being informed of that.

There are a lot of other reasons as well, but these are mine (at least
the most important for me).

At a general level, there is also the fact that Community is a pool of
great code, ideas and collaboration.

But this is, in general, together the driving factor and the side effect
of all the OSI Approved licenses (GPL v2 in primis, but other licenses
as well including the AL2).

Why I would not give my code (I know, actually few and maybe useless
lines in classpath, but still a contribution) as AL2, right now?

The reason is that I don't want Sun to use my code, if I can't use Sun's
code.

Don't misunderstand me, I would be really glad to give it for free if
they would be nice enough to ask. I wouldn't ever desire a name lost in
a ChangeLog. But actually, If I read 3 lines of code from a Java class,
than I'm tainted, I can't contribute to classpath.

While they have the right to do so, I want to have the same right with
my code.

I think, that right now, this right is only guaranteed by the GPL v2.

Apart for that, I agree that it would be nice to see more collaboration,
so I hope a fix on the license model can guide us through the correct
path (provided that A. what I said before remains true; B. the advantage
for the community supercedes the disadvantage of giving away condition
A).

This is my personal point of view, and is subject to change without
notice ;)

> Greatings
> theuserbl

Mario