On Jun 12, 2006, at 9:33 PM, Philippe Laporte wrote:

What are these really missing features and how essential are they?

The main missing feature in gcjwebplugin is support for signed jars.
Like security, we're missing infrastructure in this area but Casey
Marshall is actively filling it in.  I don't have a timeline for this
work.

I've reviewed the outstanding PRs on this.

There was lots of activity in April/Eraly May around the WebPlugin, but
as far as Security is concerned, the class lib seems not to have been
touched, and so I guess none of these PRs have been updated.

Appearances apart, what is the current situation on signed jars, missing
security implementation here and there and the security audit? Has a
timeline been worked out in the mean-time? Is someone in particular
interested?

java.util.jar.JarFile should have sufficient support for reading signatures and certificates from signed Jar files. What's missing (AFAIK) is using that info to load classes as trusted, and managing trust and policy settings.

I don't think anyone has gone through Classpath to see what permission checks are missing, and nor has anyone audited the code paths that implement these permissions. So the answer is that we can't say for sure if Classpath is secure or not.

Is Security seen as vital for running Applets, in the usage contexts
currently being addressed?

Yes, security is definitely vital for running applets. And too, the second point I mention above (denying access) is much more important than signed applets (granting access to trusted code).

Doing this is important, but I guess we just don't have enough people who have the time or experience to do it properly. I've never audited code for such a thorough security review as Classpath needs, so even if I had the time to do it, I can't guarantee that I'll do a good enough job.

We may be able to throw some static checking at the problem; I suggested, for example, using annotations to better document permissions that are needed for certain methods, but that would only work for the generics branch. Some tests for permission checks, maybe in Mauve or perhaps elsewhere, would help.