----- Original Message -----
From: "FAIR "
To: "FAIR-L"
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 4:11 PM
Subject: In Iraq Crisis, Networks Are Megaphones for Official Views

FAIR-L Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting
Media analysis, critiques and activism ACTION ALERT: In Iraq Crisis, Networks
Are Megaphones for Official Views
March 18, 2003

Network newscasts, dominated by current and former U.S. officials, largely
exclude Americans who are skeptical of or opposed to an invasion of Iraq, a
new study by FAIR has found.

Looking at two weeks of coverage (1/30/03-2/12/03), FAIR examined the 393
on-camera sources who appeared in nightly news stories about Iraq on ABC
World News Tonight, CBS Evening News, NBC Nightly News and PBS's NewsHour
with Jim Lehrer. The study began one week before and ended one week after
Secretary of State Colin Powell's February 5 presentation at the U.N., a time
that saw particularly intense debate about the idea of a war against Iraq on
the national and international level.

More than two-thirds (267 out of 393) of the guests featured were from the
United States. Of the U.S. guests, a striking 75 percent (199) were either
current or former government or military officials. Only one of the official
U.S. sources-- Sen. Edward Kennedy (D.-Mass.)-- expressed skepticism or
opposition to the war. Even this was couched in vague terms: "Once we get in
there how are we going to get out, what's the loss for American troops are
going to be, how long we're going to be stationed there, what's the cost is
going to be," said Kennedy on NBC Nightly News (2/5/03).

Similarly, when both U.S. and non-U.S. guests were included, 76 percent (297
of 393) were either current or retired officials. Such a predominance of
official sources virtually assures that independent and grassroots
perspectives will be underrepresented. Of all official sources, 75 percent
(222 of 297) were associated with either the U.S. or with governments that
support the Bush administration's position on Iraq; only four out of those
222, or 2 percent, of these sources were skeptics or opponents of war.

Twenty of the 297 official sources (7 percent) represented the government of
Iraq, while a further 19 (6 percent) represented other governments-- mostly
friendly to the U.S.-- who have expressed doubts or opposition to the U.S.'s
war effort. (Another 34 sources, representing 11 percent of officials, were
current or former U.N. employees. Although members of the U.N. inspection
teams made statements that were both critical of Iraq's cooperation and
supportive of further inspections, because of their official position of
neutrality on the question of war they were not counted as skeptics.) Of all
official sources, 14 percent (43 of 297) represented a position skeptical or
opposed to the U.S. war policy.

(Sources were coded as skeptics/critics if either their statements or their
affiliations put them in that category; for example, all French government
officials were counted as skeptics, regardless of the content of their
quote.) The remaining 96 sources-- those without a current or former
government connection-- had slightly more balanced views; 26 percent of these
non-official sources took a skeptical or critical position on the war.

Yet, at a time when 61 percent of respondents in a CBS poll (2/5-6/03) were
saying that they felt the U.S. should "wait and give the United Nations and
weapons inspectors more time," only sixteen of the 68 U.S. guests (24
percent) who were not officials represented such views.

Half of the non-official U.S. skeptics were "persons in the street"; five of
them were not even identified by name. Only one U.S. source, Catherine
Thomason of Physicians for Social Responsibility, represented an anti-war
organization. Of all 393 sources, only three (less than 1 percent) were
identified with organized protests or anti-war groups.

Overall, 68 sources, or 17 percent of the total on-camera sources,
represented skeptical or critical positions on the U.S.'s war policy--
ranging from Baghdad officials to people who had concerns about the timing of
the Bush administration's war plans. The percentage of skeptical sources
ranged from 21 percent at PBS (22 of 106) to 14 percent at NBC (18 of 125).
ABC (16 of 92) and CBS (12 of 70) each had 17 percent skeptics.

ACTION: Please urge ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS to broaden the sources they rely on
in coverage of the Iraq crisis.

CONTACT:
ABC World News Tonight
212-456-4040
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

CBS Evening News
212-975-3691
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

NBC Nightly News
212-664-4971
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PBS NewsHour with Jim Lehrer
703-998-2150
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

As always, please remember that your comments are taken more seriously if you
maintain a polite tone.
Please cc <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED] with your correspondence.

----------
Please support FAIR by subscribing to our bimonthly magazine, Extra! For more
information, go to: <http://www.fair.org/extra/subscribe.html>http://www.fair.org/extra/subscribe.html . Or call
1-800-847-3993.

FAIR SHIRTS: Get your "Don't Trust the Corporate Media" shirt today at FAIR s
online store: <http://www.merchantamerica.com/fair/>http://www.merchantamerica.com/fair/ FAIR produces CounterSpin,
a weekly radio show heard on over 130 stations in the U.S. and Canada. To
find the CounterSpin station nearest you, visit
<http://www.fair.org/counterspin/stations.html>http://www.fair.org/counterspin/stations.html .

FAIR's INTERNSHIP PROGRAM: FAIR accepts internship applications for its New
York office on a rolling basis. For more information, see: <http://www.fair>http://www.fair
org/internships.html Feel free to respond to FAIR ( <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED] ). We can't
reply to everything but we will look at each message. We especially
appreciate documented examples of media bias or censorship. And please send
copies of your email correspondence with media outlets, including any

If we do not do the impossible, we shall be faced with the unthinkable. Murray Bookchin

Make your voice heard-and for free. Sign up at:
http://www.ProgressiveSecretary.Com

Make this your default web browser and click for free contributions to 5 causes - breast cancer, hunger, rainforest purchase, child health, and animal rescue
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CTDSites

Welcome to the Cleveland Non-Violence List Serve. Visit our web-site at www.clevelandnv.org
Please remember to post in plain text and post only the essential text (do not forward messy messages or webpages.)

The Cleveland Non-Violence Network is the listserve of activists in the Cleveland area committed to a non-violent, justice-based response to terrorism and promoting peace nationally and internationally.

To unsubscribe, send a blank e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If friends want to subscribe, tell them to send an e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To read this list on the web, please visit:
   http://www.topica.com/lists/ClevelandNV

Wendy  Johnson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
List Moderator