With respect to Dan Horton's question about media, I suggest the mass media
(at very least the TV networks) are beyond reform.  Forget about them.

The formalcause of this is the for-profit corporate control of mass media.
Asking our corporate overlords to reduce their propaganda content from 99% to
98%, a 100% increase in news content (ie from 1% to 2%) has little chance of
succeeding at its narrow goal, and no chance of succeeding in improving the
general level of "education."

The only way to improve news coverage is to create better news by expanding
the excellent non-corporate non-profit news sources already out there.  The
best of these that I've come across is Democracy Now (can listen to real
audio over the web at democracynow.org and other sites.  I generally second
list by L. Tolls?)

I have entertained trying to arrange a daily rebroadcast of this in the
evening, if a suitable public forum could be found for a webcast.  Community
gathering, community building, community educating.

Another great news resource, is Google News (ok I'm undermining my point
about corporate control, but they just haven't found out about this yet.)

I posted something recently about the way some media consulting firm
(interestingly Cleveland based, good place for a protest?) has told
broadcasters not to cover peace rallies because they displease large
fractions of the audience.  The underlying message is that it doesn't matter
if peace advocates are right or wrong, the only issue is whether
acknowledging their existence maximizes profits.  As long as the metric of
truth is profit, peace loses. (as long as "profit" is defined by
corporations.)

Another telling example is the way multiple ads for peace were banned from
networks.  Military recruiting is just fine.  Antiwar voices, are "issue
advocacy."  This is a structural problem and it isn't going to be fixed by
going with your hat in your hand to the networks and asking them to do a
better job. (Also the way Michael Moore's anti-war video was pulled from MTV.)

The levels of ignorance about foreign policy in our society are stunning but
not surprising once you realize that this is what powerful corporate
interests want.  Mass media are being used almost exclusively for mind
control, not information or education.

Interestingly, this creates a public that is unable to do much but say yes, a
fact which resonates strongly with the William Rivers Pitt essay about the
failures of the Rumsfeld Pentagon yes-men.  We create increasingly a culture
of yes-men, largely indistinguishable from "good Germans."

A similar phenomenon arose under Stalin: Lysenkoism.  Reality became
"bourgeois science" and was opposed by "revolutionary science," which was
really just about parroting the propaganda du jour.  It became the chief job
of Soviet intellectuals to figure out not the truth, but what the most
powerful elements in the society wanted the truth to be.

As we see tellingly from Peter Arnett, you can be fired for telling the truth
now in the US, first amendment or no first amendment.

Even groups like NPR, with their heavy corporate dependency, lack critical
context: the single best example I know is that they have no paid peace
expert consultants to balance their entourage of military expert consultants.

Return Of 'Fragging' Echoes Earlier War
By Earl Ofari Hutchinson, Pacific News Service
March 25, 2003
The alleged grenade attack by U.S. Army Sgt. Asan Akbar on U.S. soldiers in
Kuwait stirred disturbing memories of the murderous attacks by American
soldiers on each other during the Vietnam War. There were a reported 209
"fragging incidents" during that conflict. The targets of the attacks were
mostly junior field officers, and the men who killed their officers were in
many cases African Americans.
They were pushed over the top by what they considered the brutal, racist and
dehumanizing actions of white officers. Their hatred was fed by resentment of
being drafted and forced to fight in what they considered a racist, senseless
war against oppressed colored people.
Russia's deputy foreign minister Alexander Losyukov said Tuesday the US-led
war against Iraq is likely to push North Korea to develop nuclear weapons.

"Unfortunately the Iraqi situation is driving the North Koreans to strengthen
their defences," the Interfax news agency quoted Mr Losyukov as saying.
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/eastasia/view/36316/1/.html

A hero: spread the news
The first American conscientious objector from the Iraq war will give himself
up at a marine base in California this morning. He said he believed the war
was "immoral because of the deception involved by our leaders". Stephen Eagle
Funk, 20, a marine reserve who was due to be sent for combat duty, is
currently on "unauthorised absence" from his unit. He faces a possible court
martial and time in military prison for his action. "I know I have to be
punished for going UA," Mr Funk told the Guardian in an interview before
surrendering to authorities, "but I would rather take my punishment now than
live with what I would have to do [in Iraq] for the rest of my life. I would
be going in knowing that it was wrong and that would be hypocritical."

from an email:

Here is a history quiz . The test consists of
> one multiple-choice question.
>
> First, read this list of the countries that the U.S. has bombed since
> the end of World War II, compiled by historian William Blum:
>
> China 1945-46
> Korea 1950-53
> China 1950-53
> Guatemala 1954
> Indonesia 1958
> Cuba 1959-60
> Guatemala 1960
> Congo 1964
> Peru 1965
> Laos 1964-73
> Vietnam 1961-73
> Cambodia 1969-70
> Guatemala 1967-69
> Grenada 1983
> Libya 1986
> El Salvador 1980s
> Nicaragua 1980s
> Panama 1989
> Iraq 1991-99
> Sudan 1998
> Afghanistan 1998
> Yugoslavia 1999
> Afghanistan 2001-
>
> And now for the test:
> In how many of these instances did a democratic government,
> respectful of human rights, occur as a direct result? Choose one of
> the following:
>
> (a) 0
> (b) zero
> (c) none
> (d) not a one
> (e) a whole number between -1 and +1
>

> .

2454 Professor Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44113
(216) 687-0703

Welcome to the Cleveland Non-Violence List Serve.
Visit our web-site at www.clevelandnv.org
Please remember to post in plain text and post only the essential text (do not forward
messy messages or webpages.)

The Cleveland Non-Violence Network is the listserve of activists in the Cleveland area
committed to a non-violent, justice-based response to terrorism and promoting peace
nationally and internationally.

To unsubscribe, send a blank e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If friends want to subscribe, tell them to send an e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To read this list on the web, please visit:
    http://www.topica.com/lists/ClevelandNV

Wendy  Johnson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
List Moderator