Well adding the "\r" won't help as then tar will more than likely not recognise
the file type.
So when opening the downloaded Proto-20101205.wget in vim it reports that it is
a dosfile.  Also if you put something like the following around the package
variable:
echo "|$package|"
You will see that the final pipe is not displayed.Also, cat -A
Proto-20101205.wget reveals all lines look like:
applewmproto-1.4.1.tar.bz2^M$
So this quick fix worked for me:
sed -i 's/^M$//' Proto-20101205.wget
Hope that helpsgrail