On Wed, 13 Jul 2022 07:22:56 GMT, Abhishek Kumar <d...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> am not sure if resource file can support {1} byte case...if that is
>> supported, then you can use that...but likelihood of 1 byte file is very
>> rare so I guess we can ignore it, that's my opinion.
>
> ok, should I revert back "B" to "bytes" in basic.properties and commit?

I would like to emphasize that this issue is complicated.  Plural rules vary
from language to language, adding plural strings to resource bundles adds costs
in terms of translation and testing.

If we were to support proper plurals, one may use ChoiceFormat, though it seems
to fail for Polish, see
https://stuartgunter.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/java-i18n-pluralisation-using-choiceformat/

Another solution is to pull in ICU4J library, see
https://stuartgunter.wordpress.com/2011/08/14/even-better-java-i18n-pluralisation-using-icu4j/

Yet another solution is to drop the words altogether and simply show a number
(of bytes in this case).  Alternatively, use a common suffix such as "B", but
this may not look standard.

PR: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/9327