On Mon, 5 Dec 2022 16:42:39 GMT, Alexey Ivanov <aiva...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> How do native apps on macOS handle the situation? Especially those developed
> by Apple?

It is quite hard to find a relevant case but so far it seems that it is all
over the place on Mac OS - in majority of the apps where it allows selection in
non-editable text components with keyboard it does not show the caret at all. I
found only one place that shows caret in non-editable text field - in the
project settings of XCode app - and the caret is blinking but i can not say if
it is a normal behaviour or if it was somehow customized. My point is that if
editable text component can not be visually distinguished from non-editable one
it is also not helpful. Like on that XCode page - there are a set of text
fields some of them are editable and some of them are not and the only way to
distinguish between them is to attempt to type or delete text in them. Honestly
so far Linux/Gnome approach just looks more coherent and logical.

PR: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/11408