Not sure about this particular case but in general the change that we have in
our fork allows to have a one CVD thread per display (not per MTLLayer as we
have in OpenJDK mainstream). But even this optimization is not enough for my
opinion. We are currently working on the change that performs updates without
any display link thread (similar to what we have in OGL). The display link
approach introduced in the Metal pipeline was kind of a workaround for the
missing content artifacts due some flaws in synchronization. I think that after
fixing all the synchronization issues we’ll be able to get rid of display link
threads completely.

Best Regards,
Alexey