On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 14:20:02 GMT, Alexey Ivanov <aiva...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Perhaps what we should do here is
>> if (ExceptionCheck) {
>>  ExceptionDescribe
>>  ExceptionClear
>> }
>> So someone can "see" [yes, this means it isn't propagated but we've printed
>> it and we have the assert coming up anyway] the text of the original
>> exception, and the debugging code is safe to make the calls it wants.
>>
>> The alternatives are that the debugging code in the case of
>> ExceptionCheck==TRUE just do what it takes to silence the JNI warnings ,
>> assuming that TRUE is never not a possibility, so no real problem, but I
>> don't know see how we can be sure about that for ALL callers of this assert
>> code. (BTW I wonder if the reason the current code didn't do as expected is
>> because ExceptionCheck isn't doing what we expect, but I don't see how), or
>> alternative number 2 is that the debug code simply bails in the face of a
>> pending exception, ie
>> if (ExceptionCheck) {
>>    return;
>> }
>
> As far as I can see, the real problem is that `DWMIsCompositionEnabled` calls
> a Java method and does not check if an exception occurred. It should do it
> according to the JNI specification.
>
> I can assume `initScreens(env)` does not call JNI methods, therefore no JNI
> warning is produced in the regular code flow where no assertions fail.

> assuming that TRUE is never not a possibility, so no real problem, but I
> don't know see how we can be sure about that for ALL callers of this assert
> code.

We can never be sure about it, even though I tend to believe exceptions are
rare.

Essentially, any upcall into Java followed by an assertion will lead to this
JNI warning because the assertion handler also upcalls into Java.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17404#discussion_r1484389986