Several months ago, I put out a Clojure file that could let you work
with state machines.  I was just starting to work in the functional
programming style and that code looked like it.  It was very long with
multiple complex functions and complicated data structures.  Basically
trying to solve the problem in an imperative style with a little
functional decoration.

I just uploaded another version of a state machine library.  It's not
much of a library.  It's actually just a single macro with about 10
lines of actual code.  But it lets you declare a finite state machine
and produces a function that will generate a lazy list of states as
the state machine executes.  There's also an example state machine and
some tests.

When you only have one way of thinking about things (a hammer), every
problem looks the same (like a nail).

Take the time to find different ways of looking at problems.  Read
research papers, PhD thesis, conference proceedings, etc.  You will
save yourself a ton of time and embarrassment.

Jim