Is there a reason why setting the "Main-Class" field in the jar's manifest
doesn't work. I'm surprised that any code has to be written at all for this
work.

http://java.sun.com/developer/Books/javaprogramming/JAR/basics/manifest.html#applications

I've used this before and I think that the launcher (in Windows at least)
would execute: java -jar %f

I haven't used Windows in a long time so I'm not sure if this still works.
Anyway, I may be out to lunch on what you guys are trying to do.

Michael