Yes, dealing with multiple escaped escape sequences is a weak point of
handling regexs.  To really integrate them into the language, and that
integration is essential to success, they must be typed straight into
the code literally without baggage.

As much as flexibility and simplicity, the easy application of
powerful first class regular expressions to text processing was the
killer app for Perl.  No programmer wants to accept second best
anymore.

-Brian