I'm using a clojure source file as a database, by loading the file
modifying it then saving it back to the filesystem. I'm trying to keep
things simple.

It would be useful to pretty print it so I could inspect it and make
small changes, if necessary.

It seems like a rather simple problem, and I only need some line
breaks or something simple, some text editors have a problem with
1,000's of characters on one line. The other problem is that if there
is an error loading the database Clojure says there's an error on line
1, which is the only line. I'll just code up something simple.

Starting from some Scheme or CL code is a good idea.  I'll just adapt
it to support literal maps, vectors, and such.

Thanks for your reply,
Paul