Hi,

there are some papers about “functional reactive programming” out
there, which you might find interesting.  FranTk [0] and, developed
more recently, Grapefruit [1], are functional reactive GUI toolkit for
Haskell, for example.

On the other hand, Gtk2Hs [2], probably the most popular GUI framework
for Haskell, mainly employs, guess what, conventional, imperative
callbacks.  As it seems to me that Haskellers are the ones that try
most to write purely functional code, I conclude that this is likely
the most pragmatic way of writing GUIs right now.

I bet that further research is being done in this area, though.

Matthias

[0] http://www.haskell.org/FranTk/
[1] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Grapefruit
[2] http://www.haskell.org/gtk2hs/