Hi all,

I have a somewhat embarassing newbie question on the use of hash maps
in a functional environment.

Consider a little utility that counts the number of unique words in a
file. A hash map mapping strings to integers is the obvious data
structure for this, but the fact that (assoc) returns a new map each
time it is called is tripping me up: since I can't define a 'global'
hash map to accumulate the counts, do you pass one around in a
function? or do you structure the code a different way? This is a
difference from what I would do in Common Lisp, where I would just
have a global that is used for the collection.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

    -tree

--
Tom Emerson