On Nov 7, 2008, at 2:25 PM, Daniel Renfer wrote:

> This wouldn't work if someone is using a mirror of the repository
> using a different SCM.
>
> For instance, there's a mirror on github.

True, if supporting other SCMs is important we can make the "version"
task in the build file smart enough to determine which, if any, should
be used for requesting the version.  The other option is to add a
commit hook that will update the contents of some file with the
current revision.  The latter option is starting to sound better.