On Nov 18, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Raffael Cavallaro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 > wrote:

> On Nov 18, 1:46 am, "Cosmin Stejerean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> What kind of bugs are acceptable for the
>> purpose of a known good combination? Is slime starting up sufficient?
>
> It's a whole lot better than slime *not* starting up. Again, context:
> "Getting Started."
>
> BTW, it's this sort of thinking, that one wants to constantly update
> because some bug or other may have been fixed in the latest svn/cvs
> commit that leads to projects never making releases, which is a Bad
> Thing(TM).
>

>> Assuming some automated tests can be created to define the
>> characteristics
>> of a known good combination I'll volunteer to create a continuous
>> integration server to report the status of trying to use the latest
>> version
>> of each project so interested users can quickly see if the most
>> recent
>> combination works, and if not look, at the history to find the most
>> recent
>> one that does. Is providing automated tests something you'd like to
>> help
>> with?
>

> Again, *not* looking for the latest and greatest in the context of
> "Getting Started." Merely looking for "known to work even though it's
> 6 months old."

The problem is there have been breaking changes in Clojure and the
SWANK component needs to be updated.  A package like you request would
have to include a stale version of Clojure.  Once Clojure has a 1.0
release it will make sense for all development tools to provide
packages releases known to work.

> As the old chestnut goes, one never gets a second chance to make a
> first impression. The first impression one gets now does *not* reflect
> the quality of clojure at this point. The first impression one gets
> now is "OK, broken, check back later." Clojure is more mature than
> this, and the initial setup brokenness is easily solved by putting up
> an archive of working versions of the various components even if they
> grow to be many months old before they're refreshed. This would not
> require an automated testing server, just a single tar command line
> once or twice a year.

Sure, you're absolutely correct that more effort could have been made
to streamline Emacs/SLIME support for particular revisions of
Clojure.  But since Clojure is bleeding edge and Emacs/SLIME users are
usually tinkerers there hasn't been enough of a demand to warrant the
effort.  I expect this will change as soon as 1.0 is released.