> REPL would be great. Using exit-clojure or quit-clojure instead will
> continue to require the user the look up how to terminate the REPL
> somewhere, at which point they might as well read about C-d.

Not entirely - once Slime/Jline is up tab completion on qu TAB or ex
TAB would give you what you needed.

Firing up a python2.51 at the shell and entering ex TAB gets me:

>>> ex
except    exec      execfile  exit

Which is entirely different than getting nothing at all.

Maybe comparing McIntosh to Granny Smiths is more apropos.
SBCL at the shell gives:

* exit
debugger invoked on a UNBOUND-VARIABLE: The variable EXIT is unbound.
Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.
restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
  0: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

The point isn't simply that at a naked shell `quit' or `exit' don't
get anywhere but that in more well heeled environs Clojure still feels
underdressed in this *particular* situation.  Certainly there are
times when one would like to exit the REPL without leaving the
environment entirely, and while setups like Slime can accomadate this
that is only one environ.  Future setups may in fact benefit from the
ability to call `quit' or `exit' directly - However, in a concurrent,
parallel, or threaded situation it may be beneficial to leave quit for
some other use than to leave the game entirely. Having `quit-clojure'
and/or `exit-clojure' available as a tab-complete in addition to
leaving open the shorter tokens `quit' and `exit' for future potential
uses or User Code makes sense.

s_P