I also have this problem, unless I set my heap to be substantial -
going up in increments of 128M, I need to have at least a 768M heap
for this to not occur. That seems completely crazy, but the rest of
you are saying you don't have this issue.

Maybe it's time to start looking at what platforms we are running, and
how much memory you have the JVM configured to use? If people have
their heap set to be large enough, they might not realize this is
happening, or if it is a bug on a subset of platforms, then that might
explain it as well.

I'm running on OS X Leopard, and I've tried both the 1.5 and 1.6 JVMs.
I don't normally pass any non-standard memory size arguments to the VM
unless I expect I'll need it for something I'm doing.