On Dec 10, 2008, at 4:38 AM, Ralf Bensmann wrote:

Being a Java trainer for a long time, we talk with students about the "handle-or-declare rule" in Java and the two types of exceptions: "checked" (declared) and "unchecked" (runtime). So I prefer using a RuntimeException because no exception was specified.

I'm inclined to accept the recommendation to make RuntimeException the default. I see that Clojure's Java source code uses both. It seems to me that within Clojure, the distinction doesn't matter, but in the case of Java interop, RuntimeExceptions would be more in keeping with what Clojure's "never declare them" philosophy.

Does anyone have any more advice on this?

--Steve