On Monday 15 December 2008 07:44, Rich Hickey wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Randall R Schulz <rsch...@sonic.net>
wrote:
> > On Friday 05 December 2008 15:36, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >> I make pretty extensive use of nested classes
> >> (most significantly Enum types).
> >>
> >> I was wondering if it might be a good idea to
> >> allow "dot" resolution to find such types.
> >>

> >> E.g.:
> >>
> >> user=> tau.run.TSEvent.TSEKind
> >> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: tau.run.TSEvent.TSEKind
> >> (repl-1:7)
> >>
> >> user=> tau.run.TSEvent$TSEKind
> >> tau.run.TSEvent$TSEKind
> >>

> >> In Java code I can refer to TSEKind as tau.run.TSEvent.TSEKind so
> >> it seems natural to wonder if it would be reasonable to expect the
> >> same notation to resolve to the same type in Clojure?
> >
> > Everyone gives this a "meh"??
>
> Dot is too overloaded in Java, and overloaded enough in Clojure. This
> one doesn't seem too important to me.

Actually, I don't think this is really overloading. It still amounts to
selecting a member of a namespace (abstractly speaking, whether package
or class).

As to importance, I guess that depends on how much use one makes of
(named) inner classes. I have quite a few of them in my system, and the
dollar signs are ugly and easy to forget (until, of course, you try to
compile your code). I can also imagine that when trying to search
through code for uses of a particular nested type in a joint Clojure /
Java project the regular expressions get that much more messy.

> Rich

Randall Schulz