>>        `{0~@(cons 0 (take-nth 2 %2))}
o_O I tried the `...@v} splice in but never imagined doing that!
nice :)

On the subject of splice in, am I alone in thinking
(str ~...@v) is more readable than (apply str v)?
Of course the former doesn't work as there is no preceding syntax-
quote, but bear with me...
@ is a reader macro, and we don't need to unquote ~ something not
quoted:
(str @v) which is actually a really nice expression IMHO.
{...@v}  looks much better :)
Ok so @ currently means deref, but its already used in splice, and
deref of a vector being its parts seems not too horrible.

What do you think?

In terms of this thread though...
I think to be true to the game the program should be executable. For
my command line that involves using print as well:
(apply
  #(print (apply str
      (map
        (apply hash-map (take-nth 2 %2))
        %1)))
  *command-line-args*)

clj golf.clj "EncodeMe" "e,f|M,N|c,d|n,m|E,F|o,p|d,e"
FmdpefNf

(Obviously using Chouser's splice trick is even better still)

Regards,
Tim.