On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Meikel Brandmeyer <m...@kotka.de> wrote:

> Hello Mark,
>
> On 19 Dez., 13:36, "Mark Volkmann" <r.mark.volkm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > If you don't need this, you don't have to use it.
>
> Ok. That was a stupid statement. But at least it is
> not the rationale for including condp (in whatever
> form).

I like the idea behind condp. I'm just not crazy about the ":>" part of it.

>> I feel very strongly that Clojure, and any programming language,
>> should avoid using this rationale when adding support for new syntax.
>> Just because a developer chooses not to use a particular feature
>> doesn't mean they don't have to understand it. They will have to read
>> the code that other developers write and those developers may use the
>> feature.
>
> Then we are in trouble anyway. The reason: macros. Any
> developer can basically do whatever he wants with macros.
> Just because something looks like normal clojure code, doesn't
> mean that it is. It could be a macro, controlling the evaluation
> of the arguments. So "adding support for new syntax" is
> basically happening every day.

I agree that we can't control that. We can control the set of macros
that are a standard part of Clojure though.

> The question is whether this should go to clojure.core or not.
> That's a different story. In contrib there is fcase and cond-let.
> I used both in my code several times, now. So (at least for
> me) there is some practical interest to have an often used
> form available in core.

I agree that condp belongs in core.

> My stupid statement above is not the rationale for including it.
>
> Sorry in case I offended you.

No offense taken! I just wanted to express my thoughts on keeping the
language as simple as possible. I suspect my views on this are in the
minority. Most developers seem to love having TIMTOWDI.

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Object Computing, Inc.