On Dec 22, 10:40 am, "Mark Volkmann" <r.mark.volkm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Rich Hickey <richhic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 22, 8:55 am, "Mark Volkmann" <r.mark.volkm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I thought that every symbol and keyword was in some namespace,
> >> defaulting to the current namespace when the symbol or keyword is
> >> defined.
>
> > Symbols and keywords aren't 'in' namespaces. They are just names and
> > that might have namespace components.
>
> I don't understand the distinction. Wouldn't one say that everything
> with a given "namespace component" is "in" that namespace?

Not in the sense that you can enumerate a reified namespace in Clojure
- ns-publics et al. Those things are 'in' the namespace, and that
notion of namespace is a collection.

In the sense that you can use part of a name to partition the set of
all names, yes, but that is a weaker notion of namespace, and the same
sense as - all names beginning with 'P' is a namespace.

Clojure names have distinct namespace components so they can be used
to designate/find things in namespaces.

Rich