I want to add that it's not confined to just Swing applications.

I have the exact same problem using JME on an Emacs *inferior-lisp*
REPL.

The program hangs, until I enter subsequent commands on the REPL.

The SwingUtilities trick, and updating to the latest Java runtime
doesn't help.

I'm going to try installing latest Slime/Swank to see if that helps at
all.

If anyone's worked out the root cause of this problem, please post it
here.
  -Patrick