This was going to be a question but I solved it before I finished the
post :)
Figured I might post the solution then, hopefully it will help someone
else.

(import '(java.sql Connection DriverManager ResultSet SQLException
                   Statement ResultSetMetaData))
(import '(org.postgresql Driver))

(defn connect-postgresql []
  (let [name "jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/flonk"]
    (DriverManager/getConnection name "postgres" "qwerasdf")))

(defn connect-postgresql2 []
  (let [name "jdbc:postgresql://localhost/test"]
    (DriverManager/getConnection name "postgres" "qwerasdf")))

(connect-postgresql)

that establishes a connection(both examples work).

How would I do it with contrib.sql?

First create a db with with postgresql(pgadmin3 makes this very easy).

then connect and manipulate with the following, given that you named
the database flonk.

(ns progs.netflix.db
    (:require (clojure.contrib [sql :as sql]))
    (:require (clojure.contrib.sql [internal :as internal])))
(load-file "C:/clojure/user.clj")

(def db {:classname "org.postgresql.Driver"
         :subprotocol "postgresql"
         :subname "//localhost/flonk"
         :user "postgres"
         :password "1234qwer"