Hi Stuart,

> I think the big strength of Clojure is how easy it is to integrate
> Java code. If you have some performance-critical code you can always
> drop down to Java. Certainly, performance is important to Clojure, but
> I think the assumption is that it will never compete with pure Java on
> speed.

Yes you are right, the ability to drop down to Java is a plus.

But a unique reference approach in theory would be better
still as it allows one to maintain purity (referential transparency
and theoretically equivalent to no mutation) while under-the-hood
getting the efficiency of update-in-place.

But as I've discovered through this thread, the limitations of the
JVM might make this "sweet spot" somewhat smaller than I
would have liked.

Cheers,

Mark P.