On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Timothy Pratley
<timothyprat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure how to "cpu frequency set
> to not change" or how significant that is on my results.

I was afraid that was too vague a reference, sorry.

My laptop usually slows down the CPU when its idle or nearly so.
Specifically, the linux kernel is using an "on demand" CPU frequency
scaler.  This is nice for nearly every context except trying to run
benchmarks, in which case some runs of a test may be partially handled
while the CPU is in a slow and cool mode (800 MHz), while the rest is
in the fast and hot mode (2500 MHz), resulting in almost unusably
divergent timing results.

So when I remember to do so, I switch the kernel to using the
"performance" CPU frequency scaler before running my tests, and back
to "on demand" afterwards.

--Chouser