> Ah hah!  I finally understand something.  See this is what would really
> help in the explanation.  Something like, "In Java, each file defines only a
> single outer class, which must have the same name as the file.  This simple
> approach means that there is never any confusion that the last section
> refers to a class in a given package.  Clojure trades simplicity for
> flexibility.  To specify one of the many top-level symbols provided in a
> namespace, a slash is used to separate it from the namespace"  Did I say
> that right?

Nah ..... I still don't see why all dots or all slashes can't be used.  In
the case that a single file makes up a single namespace, the namespace in
clojure equals the outer class in Java, and Java does just fine using dots
to get not only to the outer class but to the fields and inner classes.  In
clojure the last dot gets you to the subdirectory (a.k.a. namespace) ....
why can't you just keep on going with one more dot to get to the symbols?
And this would work even with more than one file in a namespace.  You just
couldn't multiply define a symbol w/in the same subdirectory.