On Jan 26, 11:44 pm, smanek <sma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm a Common Lisp programmer who has just started learning Clojure. I
> saw it mentioned online that several members of the existing community
> were looking for someone to build a datalog for Clojure: I was
> wondering what exactly you had in mind?
>
> Were you thinking of a faithful implementation of the original Datalog
> rule/query language?

Yes, plus stratified negation at least.

> Or, if not, what features would you like this
> datalog to have that aren't present in, say, the toy implementation of
> Prolog that Norvig defines in PAIP? (See chapter11, if you have a copy
> handy).

I'd like it to be Datalog, and not Prolog, as I'd prefer the stronger
guarantees of Datalog. In particular, I like the fact that clause
order does not matter, queries will complete, the distinction between
intensional and extensional etc.

> Or, more to the point, what did you see this datalog being
> used for?

As a declarative query/rule language for in-memory use (although
mapping datalog queries to SQL is also possible).

> It seems like this could potentially be a fun little non-trivial
> problem to get started with Clojure in.

I think so. There are two ways to go depending on one's interests.

One would be a from-scratch Clojure implementation. The other would be
a Clojure wrapper for IRIS Reasoner:

http://iris-reasoner.org/

Unfortunately I haven't had time to pursue either of these beyond some
initial exploration, but I think a simple declarative rule engine
would be a terrific addition to Clojure.

Rich