On Feb 1, 5:22 pm, David Nolen <dnolen.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've changed the name of my project since that was a joke
> anyway.http://github.com/swannodette/spinoza/tree/master
>
> Spinoza isn't just for people who want object oriented behaviors.  It's also
> for anyone who plans on instantiating many structs.  Spinoza's make-instance
> macro automatically orders your key/values and uses struct not struct-map.
>
> (defclass shape [object]
>   (:position [0 0]))
>
> (defclass rect [shape]
>   (:position [5 5])
>   :width
>   :height)
>
> (time (dotimes [x 1000000]
> (make-instance rect :height 100 :width 150)))
>
> > ~280ms
>
> (defstruct rect-struct :tag :position :width :height)
> (time (dotimes [x 1000000]
> (struct-map rect-struct :tag ::rect :position [50 50] :width 100 :height
> 190)))
>
> > ~800ms
>
> Also, it is now available under an MIT license, feel free to fork, send
> patches at will etc.

Does Spinoza do anything to optimize the size of the object?  I'm
tinkering with a project that will have several million objects in
it.  Currently I'm using struct-maps with around 7 keys, and the
overhead appears to be around 200 bytes per map - I'd like it to be
around 32 bytes ideally.  I'm planning on eventually using Java
objects to shrink the size, but it would be nice if there were a
Clojure library I could use.

Cheers,
Brad