On Feb 10, 3:47 am, "Remco van 't Veer" <rwvtv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> I've been working on getting clojure in a more usable state for android
> [1].  One of the challenges was to speedup startup time.  A lot of
> time is spend in the lisp-reader because all constants are stored as
> lisp expressions.  I've replace most of this code by a more direct
> approach; emitting calls to Symbol.intern, RT.var, RT.vector etc.
> These changes make loading core about 3 to 4 times faster.

I am interested in this. The current constant serialization is just
the simplest thing to do, and had added utility for any text-based
transfer. I held off on binary/bytecode serialization because I hadn't
yet decided how to make that extensible. I guess it's not the worst
thing if the set of frequently used known types gets special handling
with the print-dup fallback.

> Are you interested in this patch?  Should I open an issue on the
> project site?

Sure, thanks. It's important that the mechanism preserve the actual
types, so sections like this bit (in emitValue):

if (value instanceof List)

still need refinement.

Rich