On Feb 11, 6:48 pm, pmf <phil.fr...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just read about the upcoming JDK 6u14 [1], which mentions that
> one of the features is support for loading anonymous classes [2].
>
> Is this being considered for Clojure? I couldn't really extract from
> the article whether this is backwards-compatible or how much overhead
> it is to maintain the classic handling of to-be-considered-anonymous
> classes and the new, really anonymous classes.
>
> Subjectively, I assume Clojure would benefit comparatively more from
> this feature than other dynamic JVM-languages, due to more prevalent
> use of GCd short-lived functions residing in short-lived classes.

It is an interesting feature, and possibly useful for Clojure, however
Clojure actually has few short-lived classes in a running program.
Functions are instances of classes, so calls to fn create a class once
and create instances many times, where normal GC applies. Programs
that do pervasive runtime eval would benefit most from this.

It is unlikely to be something I'd spend time on right now, as it
doesn't let you do anything new, and requires the latest-and-greatest
JVM.

Rich