In a nutshell (not tested, but nothing should miss, just typos if it doesn't
work) :

mkdir test-compile
cd test-compile
mkdir classes
mkdir src
mkdir src/echo
echo "(ns echo.test) (defn echo [msg] msg)" > src/echo/test.clj
java -cp path/to/clojure.jar:src/:classes/ clojure.lang.Repl
user> (compile 'echo.test)
echo.test
user> (echo.test/echo "ECHHHOOOO!!!")
ECHHHOOOO!!!
user>

A classical error is to forget to put the classes/ folder in the classpath.
This folder (as defined by default by the global var *compile-path*) is
where clojure generates the class files, and where it the immediately tries
to load them from : so it must be on the classpath.

HTH,

--
Laurent